Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2022 21:25:04 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes (was: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING)

On Apr 12, 2022, at 8:44 PM, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 05:44:28PM +0100, Graham Perrin wrote:
>=20
>> Did you also rant about the commit message for
>> <https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-sans/commiti
>> /411dc97c6b9b60301edaf6cc0fa04053b0f56dd4>?
>=20
> No I did not. But I'm I'm sorry I ranted here, truly. It was an =
emotional outburst.
>=20
> But trust is an emotional thing. I can't trust ports right
> now to do the right thing. I have many freebsd vms to decomission and =
replace now with something else, because of this fact. There are some I =
must not be blindsided like this on.

Have you considered tracking the quarterly ports branch instead, if you =
want less volatility?  (IMHO, the quarterly branch brings its own set of =
issues, so this may not be a good solution for you.)

Also, do you have a dev/test environment where you can smoke-test =
changes before deploying them in production?

Finally, have you considered subscribing to the ports mailing list, =
where reports of breakage and heads-up on potentially dangerous change =
often surface (along with solutions/workarounds)?

FWIW, I've also fallen foul of tardy or absent ports UPDATING entries =
that have left me temporarily broken, so I feel your pain.  I've learned =
to counter it with more rigorous QA on my part. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.