Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:14:16 +1000
From:      Jerahmy Pocott <quakenet1@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVD-RW doesn't write

On 11/06/2008, at 3:28 AM, Sean C. Farley wrote:

>  had problems with burncd and my DVD drive when burning CD-RW's.  When
> I tried atapicam and cdrecord, it gave me problems.  I believe it was
> using burncd prior to atapicam that caused it because it works now
> if I
> do not use burncd first.  You could try a reboot and use atapicam
> first;
> the DVD drive may be in a funny state.  Just a guess.

Yes, I'v noticed that too. But using atacontrol to reset the channel
that the drive
is on seems to return it to a working state. Trying to reset the
device doesn't fix
it (maybe it locks up the whole channel?).

I'v managed to get the drive working with cdrecord, it still reports
device errors
to the console and seems slower than it should be, but it *does*
produce readable
dvds, which is the main thing!

However growisofs (well mkisofs part) won't write files over 2gb? But
I'v
seen single archives written to span the whole dvd.. Do you need to use
-iso-level 3 or 4 to get this functionality? How well supported is
reading from
disks created with level 4? (level 4 equates to ISO-9660:1999 or
version 2
according to the man page).

Cheers.