Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:23:48 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to repair networking

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:52:42 -0400 (EDT), doug@safeport.com wrote:
> Thank you. I followed the rules [I believe]. My steps where
>
>     1) portmaster -r -PP xorg
>     2) portmaster -r -P xorg
>
> I never got to the next [logical] step because I made a mistake configuring some
> of the builds in step 2.

In this case, "make clean" and also remove the options settings,
and start with a clean build. Instead of building from source,
you can also use

	# pkg_add -r xorg

if the default options fit your needs. Otherwise, go to the
port's directory and

	# make config-recursive
	# make
	# make install

to perform the process from source.

> This broke KDE in a way that I did not deem repairable.

I think it's cleaner to start with a rebuild of everything here.

> Hence I thought it would be easier just to start again, especially since kde was
> still 3.5. I have never had success in unraveling the interlocking dependencies
> in the some 400 ports that comprise xorg/kde. Some are clearly wrong e.g, a
> dependancy on the wrong version of Perl that fails various builds. Most are [to
> me] much more obscure, anyway next I did
>
>     3) pkg_delete -a
>
> I still had a working FreeBSD at this point.

As expected. The base system should _FULLY_ work without any
installed ports. The only exception I know of is the removal
of the documentation, which is a package now.

> I then did a package add for xorg
> forgetting that twm was unbundled since I last built the laptop.

Yes, it's a separate package now.

> Also I could
> not find xdm as a package.

The xdm program is also a separate port, if I see this correctly,
but as it's not a big one, it should be easy to build that from
source of no package is available. But I'm not sure why there
should be _no_ package for xdm, so I checked:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/x11/xdm-1.1.8_2.tbz

It's present as a package.

> It was after trying to find xdm and configuring
> X[org] that networking 'disappeared'.

Really very strange.

> I was so perplexed I did not think to
> reinstall FreeBSD.

Yes, that shouldn't be neccessary.

> All the 'right stuff' was in /usr/[src|obj] so I might
> have gotten by without rebuilding.

Check hardware and maybe configuration files.

> I was wondering (1) if there were/are kernel and/or OS changes in xorg that my
> steps might have killed and (2) if I should have started top down rather than
> bottom up in trying to update the required dependancies?

It's hard to say which approach will be better here. Personally,
I prefer starting from a _well defined_ point (such as "just the
system is present, it's recent, and it's working) and then start
to install the neccessary software, either from source or by
installing precompiled packages (my preferred method for 99% of
the software). The less undefined or unknown things are in the
game, the better it is. Everything else introduces guessing or
trial & error, which traditionally leads to more confusion.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany