Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 2014 11:08:12 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net>
Subject:   Re: Improving /etc/motd and ANSI

On Monday, September 08, 2014 08:36:20 AM Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2014, Eric van Gyzen wrote:
> > On 09/08/2014 10:03, Warren Block wrote:
> >> It was pointed out to me not that long ago that we have no web browser
> >> in the base install.  Having a URL-only introduction would make it
> >> more difficult for some users to read that introduction.
> >
> > So, there are users who install FreeBSD as the _only_ operating system
> > on the _only_ web-capable device in their vicinity, yet need the
> > assistance provided by this introduction?  Please help me understand
> > this kind of user, as my imagination fails me.
>
> Mostly my view also, but look at it the other way: here is the operating
> system, and here are the documents, ...but not in a form that can be
> read with the operating system just installed.
>
> For now, the hybrid approach of both URLs and text covers all users.  It
> just makes presenting a readable, compact introduction more difficult.

I actually lean more towards Eric's suggestion.  You could also have 'welcome'
be a regular FDP doc so that during installs a copy is in /usr/share/doc.  The
motd could reference that as well (i.e. you can go to this webpage or look at
/usr/share/doc/foobar for a text version).

That will let you keep the motd short while having room for a slightly longer
'welcome' guide.

Also, to your original question: I don't believe that VGA text mode includes a
way to handle underlines (you can just set colors and optionally blink).  This
means that /etc/motd with ASCII wouldn't work on syscons(4) or on vt(4) when
VGA text mode is used.

--
John Baldwin