Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:01:33 +0000
From:      John McDonnell <mcdonnjd@pcam.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: POS system trashing hard drives during install
References:  <BLUPR07MB321C9B805585AB5A6456D0ABAE00@BLUPR07MB321.namprd07.prod.outlook.com> <alpine.BSF.2.20.1512172208100.4409@wonkity.com>, <BLUPR07MB3216D5F435ACE02480752CBBAE40@BLUPR07MB321.namprd07.prod.outlook.com> <A09B69E6B9C91963.1-0f9df8ab-2681-4d43-8ca6-2b8a2979e123@mail.outlook.com> <BLUPR07MB3215DC6A24C81D223FD6EA3BAE40@BLUPR07MB321.namprd07.prod.outlook.com> <BLUPR07MB32104F7060C5274DB841958BAE50@BLUPR07MB321.namprd07.prod.outlook.com> <alpine.BSF.2.20.1512221240390.94396@wonkity.com>

> From: Warren Block
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015, John McDonnell wrote:
>=20
> > I just downloaded and booted from the NetBSD install disk and was
> presented with a screen I haven't seen in FreeBSD in some time. NetBSD wa=
> unable to match my hard drive to one detected by the BIOS. I remember
> when pretty much every install of FreeBSD would prompt me with that
> message about the reported geometry not matching. I can't recall why the
> prompt no longer shows up in FreeBSD, but perhaps it could be behind the
> issues I'm having?
> >
> > For comparision, here is what I have found about the geometry:
> >
> > NetBSD reports:
> > Cylinders:   1023
> > Heads:           255
> > Sectors:           63
> >
> > The BIOS by default is set to autodetect the mode for the hard drive an=
> reports these settings:
> > Cylinders:   19158
> > Heads:                16
> > Sectors:            255
>=20
> None of this has really mattered since drives became larger than... I wan=
t to
> say 4G.  The MBR spec said that partitions had to be specified in round C=
HS
> numbers, but that also is meaningless any more.  Although gpart enforces
> that for compatibility, but it is rare that a BIOS cares.

It seems that the BIOS on these machines is one of those rare cases where i=
t cares. While I'm not sure what gparted reports the drive as after doing t=
he FreeBSD install as I didn't make note of it other than just checking tha=
t the sector size was 63. But with the BIOS at least set to LBA mode for th=
e hard drive, even if it differs from what the BIOS reports, it is compatib=
le enough that the computer doesn't lock up and does boot.

> If an MBR partition layout created by bsdinstall does not work, I would c=
lone
> the original drive partitioning with gpart (backup and restore).
> Then install FreeBSD bootcode and format the first partition with UFS.
> Then try to get bsdinstall to see that partition and install to it.

I'm not sure if the partitioning in bsdinstall is working or not as I usual=
ly end up using your guide on setting up hard drives for FreeBSD.

So once again, thank you for to everyone for your time. And a special thank=
 you to Warren for your guides. I've used several of them over the years an=
d often refer back to them when looking something up. It also helps that yo=
ur domain name is somewhat easy to remember.

--=20
John McDonnell
mcdonnjd@pcam.org