Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:30:48 +0100
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        James Morris <jmorris@namei.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, David Quigley <dpquigl@tycho.nsa.gov>, Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no>, "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>, Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com>, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Extended attributes for NFSv3 - possible Linux interop

On 5 Jul 2010, at 10:25, James Morris wrote:

>> I'm happy to help contribute to the writing on an Internet Draft =
and/or=20
>> RFC -- the lack of NFS support for EAs (and the EA vs. file fork=20
>> confusion) have long caused me frustration, and with systems like=20
>> SELinux, our various MAC policies, and all sorts of other things=20
>> floating around, there's a strong motivation to fix this ... in a=20
>> portable way! I'm just sorry I haven't gotten to this sooner...
>=20
> The IETF process is closed for NFSv3, so in this case, it would be not =
an=20
> ID or RFC.

=46rom a working group, yes, but a third-party informational RFC might =
fit the process? It's been about a decade since I've done anything in =
IETF-land so I'm not familiar with how the process has evolved. However, =
there used to be a way to feed "this is a best practice originating =
outside the IETF with protocol implications" ID through the RFC system, =
which leaves it "not a standard" but at least a useful reference in an =
authoritative form.

Robert=