Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 02:10:35 -0700
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        sub01@freeode.co.uk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: searching

--1XWsVB21DFCvn2e8

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 03:43:43PM +0100, John Murphy wrote:
> P Stalidis wrote:
> >hello,
> >I'm trying to find one of the earliest versions of freeBSD... 1.0 would=
=20
> >be fine! I'm trying to get an intel i386sx33 with only 1mb of ram, up=20
> >and running again... so any help is welcome
> >thanks in advance :)
>=20
> There's an ftp search engine at
> http://www.freewareweb.com/ftpsearch.shtml
> which shows some hits if you search for freebsd-1*
>=20
> The oldest version with release notes on the FreeBSD web site is 1.1
> but it says "the 386sx is not recommended" so I wish you luck.
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/1.1/RELNOTES.FreeBSD

I thought FreeBSD 1.x was illegal (or at least a bad idea) to use
because of the tainted BSD Lite code.  And also, I'm wondering how much
bloat does 5.x add that can't be removed with a custom kernel.  I know
linux 2.6 has a specific section for removing extra features like the
new I/O schedulers for embedded devices that couldn't really use it
anyways.  Is 1.x/2.x really better to use for old hardware?

>=20
> --=20
> John.
rg"
>=20
>=20
> !DSPAM:417bc0b7219791736320828!
>=20

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C
=20

--1XWsVB21DFCvn2e8

--1XWsVB21DFCvn2e8--