Date:      Sun, 3 Apr 2022 00:29:44 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: extracting an IPv4 address from text?

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 17:17:26 -0500, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
>If perl is available:
>

>$ perl -MRegexp::Common='net' -n -e "print if $_ =~ $RE{net}{IPv4}"
>/path/to/logfile

In a previous reply I didn't provide the full quote, but here it is:

"If you find yourself needing a feature that is very difficult or
impossible to do in AWK, I suggest you either use NAWK, or GAWK, or
convert your AWK script into PERL using the "a2p" conversion program
which comes with PERL." - https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Awk.html

However, all of us are used to shell scripts. I wasn't aware that perl
provides the solution the OP is asking for. A solution using a POSIX
(portable) shell script would be nice, too.