Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2013 21:36:05 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        "Chris H" <bsd-lists@1command.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Please remove Perl from ports

Am Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb "Chris H" <bsd-lists@1command.com>:

> Greetings Stephen, and thank you for your thoughtful reply.
> > On 08/01/2013 10:31 AM, Chris H wrote:
> >
> >> So, in the end; why did Perl have to be relocated? Is my only
> >> recourse at this point to
> >> # cd /
> >> # rm -rf .
> >
> > When I get into this kind of bad situation, I usually do something
> > slightly less drastic:
> > # pkg_delete -a
> > # find -d /usr/local -type d -exec rmdir {} \;
> > This last command removes empty directories in /usr/local (it also
> > produces lots of error messages when it tries to remove non-empty
> > directories).  Then I look through the contents of /usr/local,
> > especially if there is anything in /usr/local/etc
> > or /usr/local/libexec where some of my manually changed
> > configuration files reside.  And then I delete any crud left over
> > that I know I don't need.
> >
> > After that, I rebuild all the ports from scratch.
> >
> > Finally, I do understand why you feel the need to vent, and I don't
> > want to belittle your feelings of frustration.  But I do think
> > everyone is trying their best.
> I believe this for the most part, as well. Being, and having been
> involved in a vast multitude of large projects, over the years. Has
> given me a keen understanding of all the burdens, one can come to
> expect. The many, many hours w/o sleep. The seemingly never ending
> stress that comes from frequently running right up to, or beyond
> deadlines. Having to greet rabid users with a calm tone, and a smile.
> As such, and with the nearly 30yrs. using *BSD, I have come to expect
> quite a bit more, than I have experienced, in recent months. Make no
> mistake; I have no intention of throwing the baby out w/ the bath
> water here. But *recent* changes have given me cause for alarm. That
> the BSD I have come to know, love, and greatly depend on. Is becoming
> something *quite* different. And if I don't say something, how will
> those the make the changes know what their user base thinks? How will
> they know what affects those changes has on them? Frankly, I *still*
> have no idea why it was _so_ important to change the install
> structure for Perl on FreeBSD.

I don't know either (I've yet switch-over allmost all my systems), but I
do believe that with the availability of pkgng, users who don't use it
are in for a _very_ rough ride. It's not written out anywhere
(TTBOMK), but the writing is on the wall.

That said, I honestly think that without pkgng, we ($work) would have to
ditch FreeBSD almost completely - simply because "/usr/sbin/pkg_*" are
useless once the number of systems you have outnumbers the number of
fingers on one hand.
While a case can be made that a lot of the problems can be scripted
around, a similar case can be made that all of it *just works* in
Ubuntu-land - and that even relieves you of the "burden" to build the
packages via poudriere (which is quite a bit of work, if you try to
bring some sense of API-stability to your systems by not just svn
up'ing ports every day and building that).

Transisition to pkgng has been very smooth for us, BTW.