Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:00:06 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne@heuristicsystems.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASLR/PIE status in FreeBSD HEAD

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 at 04:19, Dewayne Geraghty
<dewayne@heuristicsystems.com.au> wrote:

> I'm on a similar ride.  We run applications in both i386 and amd64 jails
> with FreeBSD's ASLR enabled (sendmail, squid, apache, ...) and all good.

Great!

> On the build server, the i386 jail with aslr enabled wasn't able to
> build gcc9; so this was disabled kern.elf32.*.

i386 has little spare address space and compiling applications as PIE
has a significant performance impact there, so enabling it only on
64-bit seems quite reasonable.

> ntp was the only real application that didn't play nicely with aslr.
> Fortunately, this was very helpful:
>
> /usr/bin/proccontrol -m aslr -s disable /usr/local/sbin/ntpd...

Yes, and you can now (if using stable/12 or -CURRENT) use elfctl to
tag the binary with a note to request randomization be disabled for
the process, although we really should address the underlying issue.