Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:52:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Louis Morrissette <lmorriss@showbase.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running CGIs on various versions of FreeBSD...

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Louis Morrissette wrote:
> We provided a CGI to a client of ours that we compiled on FreeBSD 2.1.0.
>  However, his ISP is running FreeBSD 2.1.5.  He says that our CGI does
> not execute altogether (or badly if it does).

Louis,

I didn't recompile anything when we switched from 2.0 to 2.1.5, and
CGI continued to work just fine.

More likely to be a problem with some assumptions your CGI is making
that happens to be true on your system but not their's.  If it's hard
coded, it's probably wrong.

Also, different httpd servers send different environment variables.
Most vars are the same but there are differences. For example,
with Apache we have the very handy DOCUMENT_ROOT to eliminate
some of that nasty hard coding.  Netscape's server doesn't have
an equivilent variable, we had to use cwd (Perl) and getcwd(3) :(

Have the client run an environment printing CGI on both servers and
compare the output.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com