Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Dongre, Prashant" <ppd2@exchange.co.westchester.ny.us>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd routing

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Dongre, Prashant wrote:

> We have a busy LAN and to protect some (primitive) mainframe ethernet
> interfaces (these interfaces are giving problems due to excessive
> traffic flowing to them)  it's planned to have a router (bridge/filter
> OR whatever) which can route only IP traffic destined to and from
> mainframes. But we do not have network subnetted and have all our
> servers/mainframe and workstations on the same IP network.

What you really need is an Ethernet switch and to break up your network
into multiple segments.  Hang the mainframe off one switch port and some
of your hubs off the others.

> Is it possible to have a FreeBSD system with two network interfaces
> bridging mainframe and the rest of the network statically routing IP
> packets from on side to another. one side is the whole network and other
> side are couple of mainframe ethernet interfaces (not more than 4).

FreeBSD doesn't bridge but it does route; this may mean changing the IP
of your mainframe to another so you can differentiate the subnets.