Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 12:54:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        ertank@softhome.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp ls shows wrong time

On Fri, 31 May 2002 ertank@softhome.net wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> Before asking here I searched bugs list, google bsd search but can not
> find answer to my problem.
>
> I have a FreeBSD 4.6-RC system. FreeBSD ftp server runs on it.
>
> When I do an ftp to the machine and ls example result is:
> ozlerplastik# ftp localhost
> Connected to localhost.com.
> 220 ozlerplastik.com FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
> Name (localhost:ertank): ftp
> 331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
> Password:
> 230- FTP Sunucumuza hosgeldiniz.
> 230-
> 230- You are wellcome to our FTP Server.
> 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
> total 57
> dr-xr-xr-x  2 0     operator    512 May  2 11:28 bin
>                                           ^^^^^
> [snip]
> time is 11:28 but when I ls -l the ftp dir the result is:
> ozlerplastik# ls -l
> total 57
> dr-xr-xr-x  2 root     operator    512 May  2 14:28 bin
>                                              ^^^^^
>
> I do connections over LAN, but one of my friend tested it for me over
> internet the result is same.
>
> My timezone is set to Europe->Turkey.
>
> I tried some other ftp servers, but they respond really slow although I
> use them as locally. (Maybe another problem to solve.) Time is important
> for my program in my company. So I can not dismiss it.
>
> Can anybody know what is the problem?

When you connect as anonymous ftp, the server does a chroot() to the
anonymous FTP directory for security reasons.  Because of this, it cannot
access the proper timezone files in /etc and this is why your times are
out of whack.

What the documentation in 'man ftpd' doesn't say is that you'll need to od
this:

Create a ~/ftp/usr/share directory, unwriteable by anyone.  Then copy the
entire /usr/share/zoneino hierarchy to ~/ftp/usr/share/zoneinfo.  After
doing this, your files should show the proper times.

-
Matt Emmerton