Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:07:26 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Disable compression of newsyslog by default

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:14:20 -0800
Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net> wrote:

> On 2023-12-23 07:09, Enji Cooper wrote:
> > This impacts embedded systems or jails which use UFS as the default
> > /var/log backed device. There are quite a few larger consumers of
> > FreeBSD out there that still use UFS instead of ZFS.
>
> I appreciate your feedback!
>
> Thank you for pointing out the implications of this change for embedded
> systems and jails using UFS. I understand your concerns, especially
> regarding larger FreeBSD consumers who might still rely on UFS instead
> of ZFS.
>
> Note that the committed change was designed to simplify code
> maintenance, particularly for downstream software vendors.  By reducing
> the number of configuration lines in newsyslog.conf to a single line in
> /etc/crontab, it makes it easier for downstream maintainers to follow
> the latest FreeBSD codebase, because they don't have to manually solve
> merge conflicts when someone changes newsyslog.conf anymore.  This
> should ease the integration and maintenance processes for these vendors.
>
> > Adding this instead into bsdinstall and the documentation as a suggested
> >   knob seems like a good way to go.
> >
> > Just something to keep in mind when making this change.
>
> Now back to the proposed behavior change, regarding your suggestion to
> change the default in the installer, I have reservations about this
> approach. One of my primary motivations for this change is to move away
> from using flags to specify which compression method should be used.  In
> my view, the software package distributed configuration should not
> dictate the compression method to be used by the user. Rather, its role
> should be to inform newsyslog about the suitability of a file for
> compression. This shift in approach aims to provide users with greater
> flexibility and autonomy in managing their compression settings.
>
> Cheers,

I think any config files which is updated by freebsd-update and/or
etcupdate and/or mergemaster should better be in /etc/defaults and any
configuration in them should be able to overridden by configuration
files directly under /etc, like rc.conf.

Is it possible to override EVERY configurations in /etc/newsyslog.conf
by any configuration files under /etc/newsyslog.conf.d
and/or /usr/local/etc/newsyslog.conf.d?

If so, just moving default one to /etc/defaults would help, I think,
like at commit d105b00084a533f41a1277d08cfacb15062d9b50 [1].

[1]
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=d105b00084a533f41a1277d08cfacb15062d9b50

Regards.

--