Date:      Sun, 19 Jun 2022 13:55:04 +0000
From:      Pau Amma <pauamma@gundo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFD: MFC hold time guidelines

On 2022-06-18 17:33, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 6/18/22 08:35, Pau Amma wrote:
>>>
>>> A command line I'm sure you dashed off without a moment's hesitation!
>>
>> I'm confused. If you're wondering what this command does or how I came
>> up with it, why not ask that?
>> [...]
>
> I was merely expressing (poorly, it seems) my admiration that you were
> able to come up with that string of commands, apparently on the spur of
> the moment, to accomplish what you wanted.  No offense was intended.

Thanks for the clarification. For the record, it went like this:
- OK, git then grep, obviously.
- Bleh. Do I have to put together some awk or perl to collapse and count
the lines with identical delays? I dunwanna, but if I gotta, I gotta.
- Wait, doesn't uniq have an option for counting duplicates? *checks
uniq(1)*
- Sweeeeeet, it does. So sort to get the lines with the same delay
together, then uniq -c
- Hmm. Sadly but predictably, there are variations on the MFC format,
but a sed stage can help with that. (That one went through 3 or 4
revisions as I experimented, I think.)
- So far so good. Now how do I get them in the right order? *digs
through sort(1)*
- Hmm, -k 1nr is all it takes? Could be much, much worse. I'm looking at
you, DFSORT and IRRCO00.
- Do I want to make sed handle more variants? Naaah, diminishing
returns. That's a wrap.

Total time was 20-25 minutes IIRC. Not that long considering, but still
nowhere near "dashed off without a moment's hesitation" :-)

--
#BlackLivesMatter #TransWomenAreWomen #AccessibilityMatters
#StandWithUkrainians