Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2016 11:27:29 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
Subject:   Re: Best time to sync ports?

On 15/11/2016 02:35, Gary Aitken wrote:
> Can someone tell me what the best time to synchronize ports is,
> in terms of having a consistent ports tree?
>
> I thought I saw something about the end of the weekend was the best
> time, but I can't find it now.  In any case, is there a period during
> which the ports tree is held frozen to get a consistent build?
>
> I try not to rebuild any ports once I get an environment that works
> across all apps I am using.  I'm reluctant to rebuild anything unless
> necessary to correct a problem / bug.
>
> When I encounter a problem with a port I want to sync the ports tree and
> rebuild before reporting a bug, but when I do that I want the ports tree
> to be consistent enough to build (hopefully) everything in case that's
> necessary.

There is a stable branch of ports created quarterly that only receives
security and build fixes.

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-announce/2014-April/000079.html

Using pkg, alter /usr/local/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf to use
pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly
instead of pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest

using svn look at
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/branches/
for a list of available quarterly branches.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler