Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:23:49 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't mount USB disk

On 1/12/22 10:56 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 1/12/22 1:34 PM, Dale Scott wrote:

This doesn't sound right, it should be something else.

If drive is partitioned and formatted (NTFS) under MS Windows [7, 10],
it stays the same after you use it for Windows backup, any of them:

1. Windows image backup just creates big "system image" file with
default name, changed nothing else
2. Windows 7 style backup asks which folder to use, and puts backups
there, touched nothing else
3. Windows 10 "file history" similarly uses folder of your choice,
leaving the rest of drive as it is.

Something is wrong with the drive and I doubt any of the above Windows
tools are to blame.

I would mount drive read-only, copy everything elsewhere, reformat drive
on Windows machine, copy everything back, and see if drive behaves after
that.

I hope, it helps.

Valeri

  All pretty scary.  It's as if once set up as