Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2017 10:53:23 +0100
From:      Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson@gmail.com>
To:        "fs@freebsd.org" <fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Poor ZFS performance

Hi,

What about a primary pool made of SSD ?
They should fit your workload much better than platter disks.

Ben

> On 21 Jan 2017, at 10:47, Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@webmail.sub.ru> =
wrote:
>=20
> So fetching data to, say, ST2000NM0055-1V4104, and than zfs send | zfs =
receive to Archive HDD will do the trick?
>=20
> Seems like the answer is "yes", I've got 3-4 times speed improvement. =
In an hour, I'll try partial transfer.
>=20
> What 8 Tb disk would you recommend for raidz?
>=20
> On 21.01.2017 12:26, D. E wrote:
>>> I'm writing lots of (tens of millions) relatively small files, =
hashing
>>> them out in three-level directory, 100 entries per level.
>>=20
>>> Speed is quite unsatisfying, about 2 millions files per day writing =
in
>>> 20 processes, that is, about one file per second for process.
>>=20
>> But that is to be expected, isn't it? You have chosen hardware which =
is *EXTREMELY* slow for non-contiguous write access. The Seagate Archive =
HDD is an SMR harddrive suitable for archive storage - not a generic PMR =
harddrive. So the Seagate Archive HDD is suitable for makings backups =
and writing huge files like 1TB images which you write from A to Z. SMR =
drives are notoriously slow when it comes to non-contiguous writes, such =
as writing small files.
>>=20
>> You can read warnings about SMR and the Seagate Archive HDD in =
particular everywhere on the web. Have you missed them?
>>=20
>> Slightly exaggerated: your SMR-drive is more like a tapestreamer than =
a real harddrive. It should be used to store enormous files and used for =
'cold storage'.
http://www.seagate.com/enterprise-storage/hard-disk-drives/archive-hdd/
>>=20
>> To be honest, it is the worst harddrive one can buy today for the =
purpose of regular storage (hot storage). For cold storage, such as =
backups like tapestreamers do the drive is decent, but not good by any =
means. 1,33TB per platter is disappointing for SMR considering the =
massive downsides. And some PMR drives are even cheaper per gigabyte =
than this SMR drive. So i strongly recommend against SMR at this time.