Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2018 01:08:17 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Bernard Spil <brnrd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on current, pkg install openssl kills pkg

Hi, Reference:

Bernard Spil wrote:
> On 2018-10-17 0:26, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi ports@freebsd.org
> > cc brnrd@FreeBSD.org maintaine= of ports/security/openssl
> >
> > On current, 12.0-ALPHA9, this kills pkg:
> > 	pkg install openssl
> >
> > 	uname -r		#  12.0-ALPHA9
> > 	cd /usr/src
> > 	cat .ctm_status		# src-cur 13733
> > 	cat .svn_revision	# 339303
> >
> >       pkg install openssl
> >         Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> >         FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> >         All repositories are up to date.
> >         The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
> >         New packages to be INSTALLED:
> >               openssl: 1.0.2p_1,1
> >         Number of packages to be installed: 1
> >         The process will require 12 MiB more space.
> >         3 MiB to be downloaded.
> >         [1/1] Fetching openssl-1.0.2p_1,1.txz: 100%    3 MiB 626.9kB/s
> >   00:05
> >         Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
> >         [1/1] Installing openssl-1.0.2p_1,1...
> >         [1/1] Extracting openssl-1.0.2p_1,1: 100%
> >         Message from openssl-1.0.2p_1,1:
> >         Edit /usr/local/openssl/openssl.cnf to fit your needs.
> >
> >       pkg install openvpn
> > 	ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.9: version
> > 	OPENSSL_1_1_0 required bysr/local/lib/libpkg.so.4 not defined
> >
> > That ld-elf message was rather too opaque for me.
> > I fumbled with various libs to no good effect, copying from another
> > host,
> > & reinstalling from current ports/ports-mgmt/pkg etc,
> > Nothing fixed it till I used another AMD+NFS mounted current host:
> >
> > 	/host/lapr/usr/local/sbin/pkg delete openssl
> >
> > Comments please ?  Meaning ? How to prevent / fix it ?
> >
> > its just that one package, I'm rebuilding & up to here OK:
> > pkg info -a | wc -l	# 1062
> > using
> > 	foreach i ( `fetch -o -
> > http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/freebsd/packages/to_pkg_install`
> > )
> > 	echo DOING $i
> > 	pkg install -y $i
> > 	done
> >
> > Ive removed openssl from my list of package to install, nothing else
> > wants it so far.
> > It used to be in my ports/security/Makefile.inc to support
> > 	cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server;make
> > But I'll just leave it to automatic depend from now on.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julian
>
> Hi Julian,
>
> Bit late to the party, but you're most likely hit by the update of
> crypto/openssl to 1.1.1 in base. There's another change the past days
> where the libraries have been renamed to libcrypto.so.111 and
> libssl.so.111 which might hit you too.
>
> Cheers, Bernard.

Yes thanks Bernard,
Lots of threads on src ports pkgs seem to be hit by these 2 disturbances.
I've stabilised my laptop on an older current that works, & won't
update that for a while, another current tower is on bleeding edge current.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich.
 Brexit referendum stole 3,700,000 Brits votes abroad, inc. 700,000 in EU.