Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2017 08:20:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Improving bugzilla was: Re: The future of fortune(6)

> On 11/26/2017 20:42, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 04:54:08PM -0800, Dieter BSD wrote:
> >> I find a lot of things offensive.  Here are a few:
> >>
> >> Ignoring PRs for years and years and years and years...
> >
> > Please suggest a constructive solution.  (This is a serious request.)
> >
> > mcl
>
> I felt compelled to say something about port maintainers not paying
> attention to open bug reports but that doesn't seem to be the case for
> me right now. What I did find was a few bug reports I could extract
> myself from, close, or request be closed. It might be helpful to have a
> yearly script notify non-freebsd parties involved in bug reports to
> review their involvement and see if issues have subsided or no longer
> matter. This could help reduce the total count with no substantial work
> and might highlight areas that still matter.
>
> Among those, bug reports 194935 and 219914 can be closed because they
> have been fixed but I did not open them.

Another thing that has been going on is when someone "takes" a bug
by assigning it to themself is that the default is to replace the
freebsd-FOO@freebsd.org mailling list with that person, this makes
the montly reports sent to the mailling list that many (ok maybe
only a few) use to keep them reminded that these things DO need
to be looked at.

Some place there is a short blurb about this in some handbook
that says you should not remove this, and somehow I think it
would be in our own best interested to either modify the way
that "take owner ship" works, or the way that the bugs are
triaged onto the appropriate lists so that this does not get
removed when a commiter takes owner ship.

I have not seen any of that montly reminders in.. well months..
and though some may see that as just noise, I see those mails as
little pokes in the side reminding everyone that we got buys
and maybe we should go fix them.

Now this next statement is Blue a very nice deep Royal Blue,
sizeof(bugzilla) :== rateofchange(sourcecode).  Simply stop
breaking things!  Some things take months, years, even decades
before the suttle breakage is discoverd by some user.  I am
not saying to stop inovation, I am saying be sure that your
actually moving the state of the art forward, and try to do
so with very well tested and complete changes.

Thank you for your time, and efforts, all those that deal with PR's!