Date:      Sat, 05 Feb 2022 06:13:00 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dragonfly Mail Agent (dma) in the base system

In message <f871dd48-3213-678a-76f8-adcffb1e6772@FreeBSD.org>, David
Chisnall w
rites:
> On 30/01/2022 14:01, michael.osipov@siemens.com wrote:
> > Sendmail: The biggest problem is that authentication strictly requires
> > Cyrus SASL, even for stupid ones like PLAIN/LOGIN, accourding to the
> > handbook you must recompile sendmail from base with Cyrus SASL from
> > ports to make this possible. A showstopper actually, for two reasons:
> > 1. I don't like mixing base and ports, it just creates a messy system.
> > 2. While this may work with hosts, when you have jails running off a
> > RELEASE in Bastille this obviously will not work.
> > Not going to work with sendmail easily.
>
> I think this is a critical point: at the moment, we're paying the cost
> of having a full-featured MTA in the base system, without getting most
> of the benefits.  Around 2003, I hit exactly this problem.  The
> instructions after update were slightly terrifying: after each base
> system or ports update, I potentially had to recompile my own sendmail.
>
> There's now a sendmail+sasl configuration in packages and so I was
> incredibly happy to be able to move away from using sendmail in base.
> Now I have two copies of sendmail on some machines.  The one in ports,
> for compatibility reasons, looks for config in /etc/mail not under
> LOCALBASE, which is a layering violation and means that freebsd-update
> periodically tries to corrupt my config.
>
> I have no strong opinions about where we move to, but moving *from*
> shipping a limited sendmail in base would make me very happy.

I'd like to add, proceed cautiously. I've been running postfix on my
external gateway for a couple of decades but recently migrated all but one
of my internal machines from sendmail to postfix. There were a couple of
hiccups along the way. In one case there was a mail loop of at(1) jobs
which required the tweak of a procmail rule. In the second case nmh submits
mail to localhost:587 requiring altering master.cf. nmh uses only that port
though it can pipe directly to the sendmail binary when built that way. If
dma doesn't support SMTP submission, we may need to review various port
default options or whether ports even support it.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>