Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:05:14 +0000
From:      "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sam Wun <smw2010@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPLS implementation

Sam Wun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any MPLS implementation for FreeBSD?
> I found a port ayame mpls for netbsd, but the last implementation was
> dated
> back to 2003, seems very old.
There is NISTswitch, but it is most likely very bit-rotted by now.

I would suggest helping Anihudda Bodhra out on the Click port as it
would be a great starting point for prototyping MPLS due to how Click
will most likely attach to the kernel forwarding paths.

The key to success with MPLS is to learn from the layer 2 forwarding
stuff in if_bridge; to integrate cleanly with the Ethernet code; to use
ALTQ for the token bucket filter and traffic classification policies;
and to not break the regular forwarding path.

Regards,
BMS