Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 2009 00:17:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        ivoras@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: experimental FreeBSD qemu-devel git head port update for testing

In article <h7g1eg$s8f$1@ger.gmane.org> you write:
>Juergen Lock wrote:
>
>>  The bad news (for FreeBSD users anyway) is kqemu support has now been
>> removed as `promised' (by the upstream qemu developers), so testing this
>> version is probably less interesting for many FreeBSD users than the
>
>Why was kqemu support removed? Lack of interest and testing?

In a way...  Linux has moved on to kvm now (and yes we could relly
use an up to date and working port for that [1]!), the original kqemu
author has left the project and so there was no real maintainer for
that code anymore that would have removed limitations kqemu imposed
on qemu like the ~2G guest ram limit, or even make kqemu ready for
inclusion in the Linux kernel...  (since Linux seems to have a policy
of discouraging out-of-tree kernel modules; kvm btw is in there now.)

[1] Links:
kvm:
	http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page
older (gsoc 07) kvm porting project:
	http://wiki.freebsd.org/FabioChecconi/PortingLinuxKVMToFreeBSD
another seemingly dormant kvm-like project:
	http://sp01.cs.rice.edu/comp521/index.php/fkvm