Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:42:03 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        Max Okumoto <okumoto@ucsd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would anyone object if I made format of *.cd.cc files more strict?

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

That's fine with me, I guess. As long as it works as before.

The thing I was hoping though was to get rid of the parser concept
altogether. Wouldn't it be theorically possible to generate those
files from the compiled data itself?

Right now, the parser finds the class names in a given .cd.cc file and
takes them as the members of the subsystem.

Wouldn't it be possible to have a declaration in the .cd.cc file that
would list those classes? I was thinking of something like:

[I am inventing some class names here :)]

vector<ClassNames> disk_classes =3D { "Disk", "DiskChunk", ...};

Then a runtime executable could be linked with the .cd.cc file to
generate the class descriptions files (which is pretty unavoidable).

What does the parser do apart from finding the class names and
generate the code anyways?

Parsing C++ code is the job of the compiler, not a script suite. ;)

But I'm just ranting, and I have no concrete solution, so please feel
free to kill the perl parser in favor of a better one.

A.

--=20
=46rom the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of
Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!

On Fri Apr 26, 2002 at 03:52:20PM -0700, Max Okumoto wrote:
>=20
> I am working on the *.cd.cc parser right now.  The goal would be to
> get ride of the perl script and the extra binaries built used to
> create the tcl<->C++ glue code.
>=20
> 				Max Okumoto

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

--DocE+STaALJfprDB--

with "unsubscribe freebsd-libh" in the body of the message