Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 06:44:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        anttik@iki.fi (Antti Kaipila)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, antonio.herrera-alcantara@bt.com
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster 16 PnP

> 	If it's a new SB16, it's probably a SB Vibra16X. This card
> does not work with the 2.2.6's snd driver (150298). you should grab a
> new version of the snd code from http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/sound.html
> This code supports audio playback, but not capture nor full duplex mode.

actually the new code seems to work in capture as well. it is just half
duplex.

On the topic: i have written repeatedly to CreativeLabs to get tech
info on the vibra16X but the most useful response that i have got
is to divert my request to other addresses, which until now has
behaved as /dev/null

Given that i have no docs on the 16X, and the new driver is just based
on assumptions which might be completely wrong and break at any time,
my advice is:

DUE TO LACK OF PROGRAMMING SPECS, STAY AWAY FROM SB CARDS if you
want an audio card that is reasonably well supported by the native
FreeBSD audio driver.

I will be happy to change my advice if and when i get the programming
info i need.

I am Bcc-ing the CL addresses i have just for information.

	cheers
	luigi