Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 14:34:50 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/dpt dpt_control.c src/sys/gnu/ext2fs...

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 11:15:38AM +0100, Bob Bishop wrote:
> At 6:00 am +0100 18/4/98, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >[...]
> >sorry to contradict you Peter but this is the trick..
> >
> >"its" is a single word, the same as:
> >"his" and "her"
> >
> >as in:
> >
> >his cat, her cat, its cat
> >

> >the other version,  e.g.
> >"Joh's crow" or  "John's VM code",
> >shouldn't be confused with this..
>
> FWIW, the the trick with the apostrophe is that it indicates something has
> been left out. This is obvious in the case of can't <=> cannot. For "John's
> cat" you'd have to go back maybe 500 years to hear someone say "John his
> cat", but I believe that's more or less how the "'s" possessive originated.

Explict possessives in english?  Hmm.  I was fairly it was derived
from the case (ger kasus) of the word; ie, the old genetive case
present in latin, greek and the germanic languages.  This
resulted/results in an s ending for possessives.

Where that case originally came from I don't know, but it seems to
have been a carry over from the original indo-european, if you look at
which places it exist :-)

Eivind.