Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 2014 02:56:23 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        nightrecon@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd-update to 9.3 from 9.2

On 18 July 2014, at 16:40, Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com> =
wrote:

> Doug Hardie wrote:
>=20
> [snip]
>>=20
>> svn doesn't work either:
>>=20
>> svn checkout https://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/release/9.3.0 =
/usr/src
>=20
> Incorrect syntax, which creates a new problem that didn't exist yet.

Thats interesting.  The command I used came directly from the manual.  =
It also worked.  There is a real problem with the documentation for =
upgrading the base and ports.  The typical man page structure only tells =
you what the various flags are etc.  It doesn't tell you how to =
accomplish the normal goals.  There needs to be some direction and =
examples on using these things for the normal admin functions of =
updating a system.

>=20
>> The latest version of UPDATING I get is from 20130705.  The web =
repository
>> shows the latest entry as 20140716.  I have used FreeBSD since 2.5.4 =
and
>> it used to be easy to manage.  Now its virtually impossible.  =
Complete
>> reinstalls on production systems are just not viable.  We need a =
working
>> way to upgrade.  I haven't found it yet.
>=20
> I have exactly zero experience with freebsd-update, and do not want to =
seem=20
> disparaging towards the work of someone much smarter than me. I also =
have a=20
> noted tendency to stick with what has worked well in the past and =
don't=20
> change things until either I have a really good reason or some other =
change=20
> makes trying "the new way" mandatory with no choice. Hence I still do=20=

> upgrades along the make world/buildworld/etc dance. Generally =
speaking, I've=20
> been doing it this way since circa 2000 and have had almost never a =
problem=20
> so I stick with it.
>=20
> Under a populated /usr/src there is a .svn subdirectory. I actually =
know=20
> very little about subversion, but I think this directory contains all =
the=20
> internal housekeeping. I've noticed before the header in many of the =
files=20
> I've read through all seem to contain OS version information. If you =
have a=20
> populated /usr/src you can cd to /usr/src and do rm -rf * and this =
will wipe=20
> everything _except_ the .svn subdirectory. You will first need to =
chflags -R=20
> noschg on this directory before you can rm -rf it.

There is no mention of any of that in the manual=85

>=20
> Once wiped clean, do this:
>=20
> svn checkout svn://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/releng/9.3  /usr/src
>=20
> Please note the svn:// , releng instead of release, and the space =
before=20
> /usr/src. This will pull in a fresh source tree for 9.3. To update do =
this:
>=20
> svn update /usr/src
>=20
> Usually running this immediately after pulling in a fresh tree does =
nothing,=20
> other than tell you you're already at the latest. If time goes by and=20=

> security updates come out the svn update /usr/src command will pull in =
what=20
> once was known as the release 'security' branch. Of course, any of =
this only=20
> applies to NOT using freebsd-update.
>=20
> One of the really neat things I do like is the revision number. You =
will see=20
> it in uname like this: 9.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE #0 r268715. I =
have=20
> one machine left that only has a CD burner instead of the DVD burner =
all the=20
> others enjoy. So in order to fit a backup dump on a CD I have to =
delete the=20
> source tree. If at some point later I should need to pull in the =
source tree=20
> that matches my existing kernel  I look up the revision number in =
uname and=20
> do something like this:
>=20
> svn checkout -r r268715 svn://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/releng/9.3 =
=20
> /usr/src
>=20
> Using the revision numbers in this fashion allows for world and kernel =
to=20
> stay in sync. Typically this is not required most of the time, but I =
like=20
> very much that the feature exists and is so easy to utilize.
>=20
> I can't speak to the original situation where the source tree was =
stale after=20
> freebsd-update. I simply just know next to nothing about =
freebsd-update,=20
> other than problems people have had with it that I've read about on =
the=20
> list. I've been steadily doing source based upgrades for 14 years and =
it=20
> works so I keep doing it that way.   :-)

I have been using the freebsd-update approach on several systems without =
issues till now.  Some use generic kernels and then it works great.