Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 02:02:47 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        gj@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com, Julian.H.Stacey%regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: foo-fax

> > Anyone got a commit-worthy port of (ex-flexfax) hylafax? It's needed here...
> > Gary
>
> Julian Stacey has this running and was making noises about producing a port.
> I think he's trying to get more savvy on cvs before he does it, though.

Exactly, also I'm still resolving minor problems with the fax,
(by sending out job applications by fax, thus call charge serves double duty :-)

Incidentally Fax is Much cheaper than sending local letters in Germany:
Comparison:
	Post:	1 DM	buys 20 grams, ie 1 envelope + 2 sheets of A4,
	Fax:	Signal Rate: 9600 bit/s  (typical)	Pages: 7
		transmission time was 14:10	Quality: Fine
		(ie 196 line/inch not low Q. normal fax)
12 minutes off peak costs 23pf + 15% tax.
Result: One can send local firms about 20 sheets of A4 by fax, for about
	the price of a stamp that posts just 2 sheets.
	Albeit you won't be popular tying up a company's fax for best part
	of an hour, & most folk don't have 20 page Resumes (me either)
Still, you can see one reason why companies here are so mad keen on faxes,
the postal rates are horrendous, & local fax is Cheap :-)