Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 16:16:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: basic no network setup question

Jan Isley stands accused of saying:
> > resolv.conf is described in the 'resolver' manual page; it points to
> > local nameservers.  No, what you did with /etc/host.conf is correct, with
> > a hosttable-only configuration like yours you don't want to try looking
> > for a nameserver.
>
> Okay, I bought Nemeth, the red book, and a light is slowly starting
> to shine. :)  As I read things so far, *if* I had a /etc/resolv.conf
> it should be empty?

resolv.conf should only be consulted if there is a "bind" line in
hosts.conf; but yes, you're right on the mark there.

> > One of the most trying things with a BSD unix is getting it to be happy
> > without a network 8)
>
> Would *BSD be happier without a NIC card at all, or with one that was
> not connected to anyone else?  Or equally unhappy either way? ;)

It's generally happy if there's a network interface of some sort; the
parallel-port network interface is sometimes enough, but definitely
with in preference to without.  It doesn't have to be up, just
configured; even a SLIP interface will do. (just mark it as down).

> Jan Isley              Nothing is permanent.  Everything Changes.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[