Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 22:43:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        gism@isot.isot.com, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: number of servers

> > advertise that your Web server has a bunch of dirty pix (and your Web server
> > DIES), you're still marginally OK.
>
> If you have a T1 connection to the Net and traffic can kill your web server,
> you should be running FreeBSD on it instead of Windows 3.1...  (though you
> might want to have a lot of swap space handy for all the processes waiting
> for net i/o to complete).
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist...

I have a Web server, I'm T1 connected, and I run FreeBSD.  :-)

On the other hand, the box was spec'd out to handle a low to moderate level
of traffic, and I contend that it would be easy to take it out with some
foolish stunt as described above.  Unfortunately the general horny public
does not care whether _you_ advertise it or someone _else_ advertises it -
they'll melt your box anyways.

Me, I'm still waiting for it to happen, but I find consolation in the fact
that when it happens, it won't kill any of my other services.

... JG