Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 15:10:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, james@ican.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should this port go in ?

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Scott Blachowicz wrote:

> asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami) wrote:
>
> > This manpage issue has been bothering me for a while.  Maybe we can
> > add a flag to pkg_create to handle this or something.
>
> ...or create an ugly-in-a-different-direction solution of using the same
> filename for both the compressed and uncompressed man pages and have the
> uncompression process trigger of the file's "magic number" instead of the
> file's name.

I thought about adding some cpp structure to a PLIST, specifically the
ability to do defines and ifdefs.  This would allow the PLIST to change
dynamically, depending on variables that existed at the time of package
creation.  On unpacking, though, the variables could be different than
when the package was created.

Say the creator of a package made it with compressed man pages.  On
unpacking, you'd conceivably want the files either just installed, or (if
the unpacker did not have MANCOMPRESS defined) gunzipped.  In order to
have this happen, an additional cpp construct, if exists, could be
triggered to conditionally ungzip the man files.

So, you'd want defines, ifdefs, ifndefs, and if exists to work.  How about
routing the entire PLIST through cpp, before it's used?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |