Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:59:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        gordon@sneaky.lerctr.org (Gordon Burditt)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM recording support?

> Is there a FAQ about the support for CD recording in
> FreeBSD 2.2-961014-SNAP or coming in 2.2-RELEASE?

Can't tell.

> What drives are supported?  Is there anyone who
> actually sells a Plasmon RF4100 (probably under
> a different name)?  How well do the HP 4020i
> or Plasmon RF4100 work?

I have an hp4020i (on 2.1.5-R w/ J.Wunsch's patches).
After some trouble with burning of CD-Rs >490MB I learned
that cabling might be a problem and changed the positions
of the hp4020i and the IBM disk on an Adaptec 1542CP.
Now, it works w/o problems.

You may want to check out
http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/HP-FAQ.html
(where I got the cabling tip from) and also
http://www.cd-info.com

> Do I need any software besides mkisofs, team, and
> what comes in the basic FreeBSD system (driver
> support, mount support for CDs, vn driver for
> testing before burning, etc.)?

No. The list is quite complete.
(May be you forgot `find' and `cat' to test-read. :-)

Except when you want to burn audio CD-Rs.
I think there exists a program to convert .wav files to
the CD image and then burn it with the correct block size.
But neither do I remember the name of the script (cdd ?)
nor have I used it.

(Does anybody remember the name ?)

> 					Gordon L. Burditt
> 					gburditt@airmail.net

Hope it helps,
Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)