Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 16:44:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dr Freebsd <hometeam@techpower.net>
To:        George <kf7nn@airmail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to install programs

I would use ports for updates or added software prg it is very slick..
cd /usr/ports  and look for what you like to add ... That is if you have
the ports collection. like if you where to add netscape you would
cd /usr/ports/www/netscape the make install it will fetch that port
and install it for you.
goto www.freebsd.org and look under ports info.
I know this did not answer your direct question.

the full command use gzip -cd file.name.tar.gz | tar xvf -
that will untar the file also.
also -x is not a valid option so I am not ssure what you used
perhaps gzip -d ?
now to untar I would use tar -xvf filename.tar

hopes this helps.