Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 98 13:13:34 +0100
From:      David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Subject:   Re: My AM

> From: hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
(...)
> AFAIK, .snd and .au files are coded as u-Law. The i4btel driver itself
> is able to use either A-Law or u-Law so using sox to convert between
> this formats is not necessary.
>
> A userland utility to switch between those formats will be part of the
> next alpha (which will be released soon).

Good.

AFAIK, .au, .snd, and .vox files are the same (at least on the NeXT)

When I run the program sndinfo on the snd generated by my script it sys:

Filename: /Net/alice/var/isdn/02-26-1998_113833-unknown-82834.snd
Size: 133117 bytes, 133117 samples, 16.615 seconds
Format: 8 bit muLaw
SamplingRate: 8012.821 Hz
Channels: 1

But SND is not Ulaw all the time:

Filename: /NextLibrary/Sounds/Crow.snd
Size: 36460 bytes, 9115 samples, 0.413 seconds
Format: 16 bit linear
SamplingRate: 22050.000 Hz
Channels: 2
Sound file courtesy of Network Music, Inc

Anyway you should not miss to have a look at detect which is in
ftp://buran.fb10.tu-berlin.de/pub/

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 NeXTmail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION
           WATCH OUT FOR TURBOFAX for OPENSTEP!