Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:24:23 +0200
From:      Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B_SMP_WORKAROUND again

On Mon 15 Jun 1998, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> >From the keyboard of Leo Weppelman:
>
> > Thinking it over a bit, I think that making sure that the hardware is in
> > a sane and ready state should probably be part of the reset procedure
> > triggered by a (re)start of isdnd.
>
> Yes, it should. But it is everything else than a trivial task....

I understand that ;-) But the conclusion might be that currently, the
I4B_SMP_WORKAROUND option has it's uses and I sure like it to stay. See,
I sometimes remotely reboot my system and dialin to the console to check
it and bring it up a little further. Without I4B_SMP_WORKAROUND I'm locking
out isdn before I can use it...

As such, it might deserve an entry in the FAQ :

When isdnd has not been running for a while, I can't get i4b to work...
    When isdnd isn't running, the interrupts of the (teles only??) isdn
card are not properly served, causing the card to be stuck in an interrupt.
This condition is not yet automatically cleared when isdnd is (re)started.
A reboot of your system is the only solution now. This interrupt condition
can be triggered by activity on your isdn bus like an incoming call.
If you are in the habit of shutting down idsnd at night or when you are
not always starting isdnd directly after a reboot, try the I4B_SMP_WORKAROUND
option. It works around the 'stuck-interrupt' condition.

[ just my 2 cents ;-) ]

> Also, part of the probe routine should be a selftest of the HSCX/ISAC which
> tests the accessability of each register and the fact whether interrupts are
> functioning. Shudder ... ;-)

This nearly calls for loadable drivers. Load and initialize the driver when
it is called for... I guess these kind of hobbies are endlessly time
consuming ;-)

Leo.