Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 22:12:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

As =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:

> >Ah, i didn't knew that our locale support ain't complete yet.  I was
> >under the impression that the LC_CTYPE part was already ok.
>
> LC_CTYPE part _is_ already ok and because of it 'ls' with setlocale()
> from main() for Japanese LANG becomes broken right now.

But wouldn't that mean that enabling STARTUP_LOCALE by default would
break `ls' for Japanese users then?

I don't grok it.  Somehow your opinions are self-contradictionary.

Either, our locale support at least for LC_CTYPE is ready for prime
time.  Then, i don't see why we should not put a setlocale() into our
programs.

Or, it's still broken (e.g. for locales with a multibyte character
represantation), then we cannot enable it by default.  I'm saying this
although i live in an area where proper locale support is at least
very useful, in many cases even substantial.

(The ports collection is out of my consideration for this.  The first
thing we have to get right is the base system.  When this is done, we
should think about the ports.  Maybe we could find some hack similarly
to the STARTUP_LOCALE thing especially tailored for the ports.)

--
cheers, J"org