Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2007 23:11:59 +0100
From:      Jona Joachim <jaj@hcl-club.lu>
To:        "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/118458: [UPDATE] multimedia/handbrake

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 15:49:16 -0600
"Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:

> [...]
> I can see the verbose of build.

> cc -c -o libhb/dvd.o -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -g -O3
> -funroll-loops -I./contrib/include -DSYS_FREEBSD -DUSE_PTHREAD
> -DHB_VERSION=\"0.9.1\" -DHB_BUILD=2007100800 -D__LIBHB__ -Ilibhb
> libhb/dvd.c
>
> libhb/dvd.c:10:30: error: dvdread/ifo_read.h: No such file or
> directory libhb/dvd.c:11:30: error: dvdread/nav_read.h: No such file
> or directory ==========================================
>
> It can't find libdvdread, so.. I wonder why libdvdread's headers
> aren't in contrib/include/, so I went to check more in the log. It
> shows that libdvdread configure failed.

> checking dvdcss/dvdcss.h usability... yes
> checking dvdcss/dvdcss.h presence... yes
> checking for dvdcss/dvdcss.h... yes
> checking for dvdcss_interface_2 in -ldvdcss... no
> configure: error: You need libdvdcss.so.2 or later
>
> In the contrib/libdvdread/config.log looks like:

> configure:19289: checking for dvdcss_interface_2 in -ldvdcss
> configure:19307: cc -o conftest -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -g
> -I/usr/home/mezz/commit/handbrake/work/HandBrake/contrib/include
> -L/usr/home/mezz/commit/handbrake/work/HandBrake/contrib/lib
> -ldvdcss conftest.c  >&5
> /var/tmp//ccJnz0pL.o(.text+0x13): In function `main':
> /usr/home/mezz/commit/handbrake/work/HandBrake/contrib/libdvdread/conftest.c:29:
> undefined reference to `dvdcss_interface_2'
> configure:19313: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h.  */
> |
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
> | #define PACKAGE "libdvdread"
> | #define VERSION "0.9.7"
> | #define STDC_HEADERS 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
> | #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
> | #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
> | #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
> | #ifdef __cplusplus
> | extern "C" void exit (int);
> | #endif
> | #define HAVE_DVDCSS_DVDCSS_H 1
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> | #include <dvdcss/dvdcss.h>
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> | if(!dvdcss_interface_2) { return 1; }
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:19334: result: no
> configure:19336: error: You need libdvdcss.so.2 or later
>
> The libdvdcss.so.2.8 exists:

> # find work -name libdvdcss.so\*
> work/HandBrake/contrib/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.8
> work/HandBrake/contrib/libdvdcss/src/.libs/libdvdcss.so.2.8

Hmm, it never did that to me. Were there any errors or any other
interesting messages during the built of libdvdcss? What architecture
are you on? I could only test it on FreeBSD 7 Beta 1 and Beta 4 on i386.
I couldn't test it on amd64. Could you perhaps provide me a full output
of the built?
Unfortunately I won't be able to take a look at it until Monday.
I will also try building it inside a tinderbox to see if there's
nothing special with my config.

> I doubt that it got conflict with libdvd* installed in my system,
> because of it has correct -I/-L paths. But I will add my info in here
> just in case. I haven't dig in it deeper, so I don't know.

I think I also have those libraries installed, I would have to check
though. I don't think it's related either.

> # pkg_info -IX libdvd
> libdvdcss-1.2.9_2   Portable abstraction library for DVD decryption
> libdvdnav-0.1.10_3  The library for the xine-dvdnav plugin
> libdvdread-0.9.7_2  This is needed by ogle, which is a DVD player
> that supports
>

> --
>

> Here is a patch and list of what I have changed:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/handbrake.diff
>
>    - Move the 'apply' part from post-patch to post-extract.

Yeah, I didn't know whether I should put it into post-extract or
pre-patch.

>    - Add post-patch to get this port respect the CC/CXX/CFLAGS/etc in
> each of ./configure in contrib/Jamfile.
>    - Modified patch-contrib-Jamfile on ffmpeg part to get respect
>      CC/PTHREAD_LIBS.
>    - Re-add '-dx' for verbose build in jam, easier to debug when user
> report build failure.

Thanks for your changes!

> I am not done with that, but it's far what I have right now. I am
> planning to remove more stuff such as remove all of these -O3, -O4,
> -O20, -funroll-loops and other flags as should be respect to our
> CFLAGS. Feel free to take this job if you want to. Also, do you want
> to take the maintainership? We are willing to give up the
> maintainership as we have no interest in HandBrake and we will
> leaving it in dust again in future.

I think HandBrake is actually a great app since it has a lot of
interesting features like Matroska and DTS support, plus it's easy to
use.
I can take maintainership if you want.

It would be cool if other people could test it and report if it builds
fine for them.

Best regards,
Jona