Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:53:18 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, dan@langille.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 09:27:15PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	This is one reason I was really happy when I moved to Maryland,=20
> and found that they issued their own license numbers, which I believe=20
> was based on a soundex code from your last name, plus perhaps some=20
> other identifying information.

I think most states do this or something similar.  Apparently, many of
them forgot something rather important though.  They encode a whole
bunch of information in the number, but don't actually make sure it's
unique.  There are some states where a few numbers hve 3-4 people
sharing them.  Drivers license numbers are used for some forms of credit
and similar checks so this can be is a really serious problem.

-- Brooks

--=20

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr--