Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:41:31 +0000
From:      "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/xargs Makefile strnsubst.c xargs.1 xargs.c

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 08:23:48PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 4:28 PM -0700 4/19/02, J. Mallett wrote:
> >  Traditional behaviour should not be affected, use of -J
> >  should be deprecated in favor of the more portable -I
> >  (though -J has been left, for now).
>
> Use of -J should not be depreciated.  We already knew about
> the standards when we implemented -J.  -J provides a different
> function than -I.
>
> Iirc, -J was documented as non-standard, but there is no need
> to depreciate it.

For a minute I thought we now had a standardised equivalent to -J, so I
thought it should be deprecated.  Now that you have pointed out to me
that it was intended to be different, then having -I and -J does not
matter at all.
--
jmallett@FreeBSD.org   | C, MIPS, POSIX, UNIX, BSD, IRC Geek.
http://www.FreeBSD.org | The Power to Serve