Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:05:28 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kmod ports and conflicts when upgrading

On 12 Sep 2023, at 10:42, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 10:25:40AM +0100, David Chisnall wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> As part of the work to run FreeBSD containers on other operating =
systems via Podman, I have written a device driver for the QEMU firmware =
config interface.  I am currently building this via an overlay port, but =
aim to upstream it into -CURRENT soonish.  In parallel, I=E2=80=99d like =
to add a port for it.
>>=20
>> Both ports and base install kernel modules in the same place and so =
I=E2=80=99m worried that someone will install the port, update FreeBSD =
to a version that includes the module in base, and then end up with =
problems when the uninstall the port (or have the upgrade fail because =
the file already exists).
>>=20
>=20
> Base installs modules in /boot/kernel, ports insyall them in =
/boot/modules so
> you don't have the problem.

Oh, great, I missed the distinction.

>> I=E2=80=99m sure this problem must have been solved for other things =
that have migrated in a similar path.  Is there a way to automatically =
uninstall a port when doing a major version upgrade or when a =
base-system thing tries to write to the same location (or, at least, =
ensure that it is not removed when the package is removed later)?
>=20
> no there is no mecanism for that except if you use pkgbase, in this =
case if you
> have a conflict aka a file installed in the same location (which is =
not the case
> for kernel modules from ports) then it will propose you to remove the
> conflicting package.

Sounds like it should just work and the next autoremove will remove the =
one that isn=E2=80=99t needed anymore.  Thanks.

David=