Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 21:39:42 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        LOVERITI@UVSC.EDU
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How do I make the patch file from a port that I have done?

 * I recently used the port for the gopherd program.  The patch was
 * incomplete, but I was able to get the program to compile with a little more
 * tweaking.  The only file I changed (aside from applying the patch-aa file
 * that already existed) was the Makefile.  I can either send you the file, or
 * if you could tell me how to generate the patch-?? files from the source I
 * would be happy to do that.  Just thought that a working port might help
 * some other people out there too.  The porgram version that I ran was
 * gopher2_1_8 which I believe is the latest.

If it's only one file, then you can just do "diff -u Makefile.old
Makefile" (replace "Makefile.old" with the filename you kept the
backup of the Makefile in).  Then stick that patch in
patches/patch-ab, and try to build the whole thing again.  If it
builds, you've done right, so send us the patch-ab to us! :)

By the way, if you are using gopher2_1_8, you should have changed the
toplevel Makefile too, right?  It will be great if you can send that
to us too (along with patch-ab).

Satoshi

PS Step by step, assuming you went into the "work" directory to fix
   the stuff:

(1) cd /usr/ports/net/gopher/work/gopher-2.1.8 (or whatever)
(2) diff -u Makefile.old Makefile > ../../patches/patch-ab
(4) mv work work2 (just in case, keep the old stuff around)
(5) make
(6) make install

If it works, fine!