Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:48:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Alastair Rankine <alastair@cia.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User PPP Routing yet again.

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Alastair Rankine wrote:

> Anyway, according to Steve Sims' rather comprehensive Pedantic PPP Primer,
> "If the PPP program is started normally then the program will not forward
> packets between LAN interface(s) and the dial-out connection. In effect,
> only the FreeBSD system is connected to the ISP; other workstations
> cannot "share" the same connection."

Do you have a URL for this?  :)

> Ah-HA! This explains the problems I have been experiencing. I have set up
> user PPP and get to the point where my FreeBSD box dials, connects, and it
> can see the rest of the net. At the same time, the Mac is seeing the
> FreeBSD box and nothing else.
>
> "OK then, I'll just find the secret command line option to turn on routing
> to the rest of the world" thinks I, after reading the P-PPP-P. And this is
> where I turn to you for help. The P-PPP-P refers to an -alias option, which
> neither my software nor my manpages seems to have heard of. I am running
> 2.1.5-RELEASE.

Upgrade and you will receive the -alias option. Or fetch the patches from
the IP Aliasing page, which is at .....
http://www.cypher.net/~black/ipalias.html   ?

I don't think that's the right URL, we used Mr. Mott's patches.

> [As an aside, I don't really want IP aliasing as my ISP has kindly assigned
> two static IP addresses to me, but I think I'm barking up the right tree
> now...]

You do, actually; it's a heck of a lot easier to work esp. over an
ethernet.

> b) Do I need to get a later release of ppp and/or FreeBSD?

That is one solution; the other is to patch ppp yourself.

> c) Should I switch to kernel mode ppp, and if so, does it do dial-on-demand?

I don't think so.

> d) Anyone care to guess how many aborted calls to my ISP I have been
> through to get this far? :)

Um, 20?