Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 15:49:28 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        aiarbuckle@naxs.com, reyesf@newsguy.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for new list

> I have mixed feelings about this idea.  I can understand that it
> probably would help freebsd to make sure press-people don't trip
> up over something simple.  On the other hand, in some sense that
> results in a "false review" of freebsd.  They would be reviewing
> "freebsd with special access to top-notch help", while other users
> would read the reviews and then have to settle for "freebsd with
> generic help".

Erm, I hate to burst your bubble but a very high percentage of
commercial evaluations are done with direct access to tech support
people.  If you read enough of them in detail, you'll find references
like: "We had a little trouble at first, but so-and-so and Sun was a
great help in explaining how to configure ..." - this especially
goes for the hardware reviews, where the manufacturer in question knows
that their stuff's about to be benchmarked and always includes a few
telephone numbers and email addresses along with the equipment.

- Jordan