Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:03:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGDANGER

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> If you have a system which does overallocate, you're going to randomly
> pick processes to kill.  Or maybe the system will even make a pretty
> good guess at what to kill.  That is a true statement with or without
> SIGDANGER.  The question is, will there be any way for some critical
> process (system daemons, the X-server, whatever) to tell the system
> "No, don't kill me, try to kill someone else first!".
>
> The example you give isn't particularly interesting, as I (as a system
> administrator) don't really care if any or all of those pittly little
> processes ( :-) ) get killed.  I may, however, be very unhappy if sshd
> or the main lpd process gets killed just because they *happen* to be
> the process which requests memory at the wrong time while you're running
> that "danger.c" program.

	Ok.  I'll buy that.  My concearn is that every process of
"interest" will need to have a SIGDANGER handler added.  Just because my
shell didn't have a handler, doesn't mean I want it killed off.  I see
that presently there is no security in the present situation and that it
may get killed off anyway.

	If a default handler for SIGDANGER were provided that prevented a
process form being killed on the first SIGDANGER and instead flushed any
freed memory in the malloc free lists, and then only on the second
reception of SIGDANGER tried to exit, I would feel more comfortable.  A
second chance handler like this seems reasonable as it may free up some
resources without killing too many processes needlessly.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,