Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:27:01 -0400
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update vmware port: testers required

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 03:24:26PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> When installing this, it asked me what addresses I wanted for my
> private network.  I went with whatever it came up with by default.
>
> Networking for my guest OS does seem to be working right, as near
> as I can tell in a little bit of testing.
>
> I notice that in my host-OS (ie, the freebsd which I am running
> vmware from), if I send a message then sendmail comes back with
> the warning:
>      gethostbyaddr(192.168.254.1) failed: 1
> The message being sent at the time does get delivered correctly,
> but I am just wondering about the warning message.
When you are install vmware, it created new network interface (vmnet1)
and assign that address. Sendmail at the startup time want to get a
list of the active network interfaces and trying to get cannonical
names for its IP addresses. I suppose that in your DNS 192.168.254 network
not registeres ;-).

> I do not have much experience with bridging issues.  I added a
> dummy hostname (in a dummy domain) for that IP address in my
> /etc/hosts file.  Is that a reasonable thing to do?  Is there
> any reason for me to care about this warning?
It's not a bridge issue. And you don't have any reason to worry about this
warning.

--
Vladimir