Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 22:12:18 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Ron Ganzer <ganzman@ganzman.no-ip.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about fluxbox & xserver

Ron Ganzer wrote:

> hi all ,
> i have FBSD 5.1 running for 4 month and it great.....
>
> HOWEVER i have two problems:
>
> 1) gnome works perfectly but when i try to run fluxbox i get
> XF86CONFIG doesnt have $display...... im at a loss here , any leads
> greatly apreciated.

Hi!  Please direct technical questions to questions@freebsd.org.

1]  Set an environment variable --- in csh/tcsh it's "setenv DISPLAY num",
where "num" is the display to connect to.  Here's mine ...

<kadmin@archangel> [/home/kadmin/scripts][21:45]
% echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

> 2) i need to run an Xserver without a desktop manager - how ?
>
> thanks ,
> Ron Ganzer

I assume you'd enter "startx" after setting ~/.xinitrc properly.
Google about for sample .xinitrc files --- you can call apps w/o
calling a window manager; that's what I'm assuming you want
to do <?>

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.