Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:32:13 +0100
From:      Dominic Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Eric Wayte <ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>, Steven Kehlet <kehlet@techfuel.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone have System V jokes?

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 10:11:31AM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net> writes:
> > 	/etc/rc.d (so far, I can describe it as: "theoretically cool, practically
> > 	useless" -- noone almost ever uses that junk).
>
> Um, I don't know about Solaris, but it seems to work pretty well on
> IRIX (disregarding the fact that it defaults to enable *all* services,
> and that it's not always easy to find out what a particular service is
> or why the machine stops working when you disable it)

Well, I don't know about IRIX, but I have definite problems with the
Solaris implementation.  For instance, because of the way that sun ship
it, you can't "just turn off inetd".  Half of the scrips don't have a
stop section.  In short, nice idea, but a pain to work with.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

"vi has two modes the one in which it beeps and the one in which it doesnt."
	-- Anon.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com