Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:25:29 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Jeff Leveille <grayspace@gamebox.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD -> NetBSD cross compile

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 02:50:25AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> B> I've never made a serious attempt, but the first thing you'll notice
> > if you try to build directly from NetBSD source is that FreeBSD and
> > NetBSD make(1) files are not necessarily compatible.
>
> That's solveable in two simple steps:
>
>  1) merge NetBSD's make(1) improvements into our make(1) :)

The recent fix I put in make(1) did help some (not that I could find
that fix in their make(1)). The real problem is that there are
conflicts in each set of improvments. For example, one that you will
quickly run into,

FreeBSD make(1) modifiers:

     U           Converts variable to upper-case letters.

NetBSD make(1) modifiers:

     U newval    If the variable is undefined newval is the value.  This is
                 another ODE make feature.  It is handy for setting per-target
                 CFLAGS for instance:
                       ${_${.TARGET:T}_CFLAGS:U${DEF_CFLAGS}}

Go through the modifiers for both, and you will see a lot of
inconsistencies. (Just as a side note, OpenBSD make(1) does the same
thing as FreeBSD for 'U.')

>  2) use the -m option to make and specify the directory where the
>     NetBSD .mk files reside (e.g. $HOME/netbsd/src/share/mk).

Yep. That's an obvious requirement.