Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 22:46:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=  <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gzcat: stdout: Broken pipe

I started seeing this just yesterday, also.  -stable works fine on all my
test machines, but the moment I dumped it on a production machine,
makewhatis barfed all over the floor :-).  About the same number of gzcats
file.  I'm currently rebuilding world to try again on a slightly more
recent revision.

My /tmp has 64mb free so I don't think that is the problem (it's MFS, and
this is what I normally build and install on).  /usr and / both have
sufficient room also.

On 24 Apr 1998, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav  wrote:

> Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com> writes:
> > After finishing a make buildworld on another system
> > (2.2-STABLE) a make installworld brings:

> >  Re-scanning the shared libraries..
> > cd /usr/src && ldconfig -R

> >  Rebuilding man page indexes
> > cd /usr/src/share/man && /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin/make makedb
> > makewhatis /usr/share/man
> >
> > gzcat: stdout: Broken pipe
> > [...]
>
> Well, at least you needn't worry about reinstalling; everything is
> there. But it seems that makewhatis had some trouble. Check your
> system logs; my bet is that $TMPDIR went full. Try running makewhatis
> manually and see what you get.
>
> --
> Noone else has a .sig like this one.

  Robert N Watson