Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:26:11 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net> wrote:
>
> > Fundamentally, I object to being required/expected to maintain a copy of a
> > large amount of information that does not impact my system.
> > I don't care about the patches to XXXXX unless I decide to install it.
>
>      Well, this is certainly a valid complaint.  However, I'm not sure
> of the source of this complaint.  Is it that you don't want the ports
> tree, or that you don't want the entire ports tree just to get a couple
> of ports?
>
>      If you don't want the ports tree, you don't have to install it.

I well recognize how it all works. But, from a practical point, no system is
complete w/o some ports. I am concerned with the POV of a "typical" user.
We need to make our system (even) more "user friendly". The typical user needs
to be aware of the resources available w/o being burdened with stuff they don't
need. Not everyone has T3 net access and a tera-byte of HD. :-)

> > Similarly, I think that it is a stupid design to require everyone to keep the
> > ENTIRE history of a file (per cvs).  I have CD roms which have the old
> > versions in case I need to reference them.
>
>      Huh?  The "ENTIRE history of a file" isn't stored below
> /usr/ports.  There may be some CVS control information for each port
> (and you can make an argument for getting rid of this information, for
> some cases), but it's just control information.

You are obviously just "checking out" from the CVS tree. I was referring to
those who actually keep a CVS tree. (It is rather necessary when you are near
the "bleeding edge" -- XXX just broke YYY and you need to revert a few files to
yesterday's version.

However, my point is that, although I NEED the recent history, and the "Library
of Congress^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HFreeBSD NEEDS to maintain the total history,
I doubt that any of the developers have had any reason to examine distant
history for more that a file or two. I see no reason for the world-wide
community to be FORCED (see how CVS stores things) to keep the ENTIRE history
online and on numerous development platforms. There has to be a better way to
utilize resources.
--
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@Dataplex.NET